Erik brings over a decade of experience representing individuals and companies entangled in business disputes. One of Erik’s passions is representing members and shareholders of companies who are at odds with their business partners, by helping them negotiate a resolution of their disputes or, where resolution is infeasible, navigating them through a separation of their business relationships.
Erik also regularly negotiates and prepares a wide range of contracts on behalf of businesses and individuals, including services agreements, licenses, personal guarantees, independent contractor agreements, operating agreements, and leases, among others. He also routinely handles breach of contract claims arising out of all types of contracts, and has achieved successful, efficient outcomes for clients embroiled in contract disputes.
Additionally, Erik represents and advises clients in other types of business-related disputes, including claims involving business and consumer fraud, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret misappropriation, and copyright and trademark infringement. Having owned and operated other start-up companies, Erik appreciates the challenges entrepreneurs face on a daily basis, and he strives to ensure his clients’ objectives are met in the most efficient, practical, and cost-effective manner possible.
In addition to his broad business litigation practice, Erik passionately counsels and advocates for employees who have suffered wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, or wage and hour violations from their employer.
Erik graduated magna cum laude (top 3%) from California Western School of Law in 2008, where he served as the Executive Editor of Notes and Comments for the California Western Law Review. During law school, Erik served as a judicial extern for Justice Gilbert Nares of the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Division One. A proud Banana Slug, Erik graduated with honors from the University of California, Santa Cruz, where he double-majored in Business Management Economics and Sociology. While there, he played two seasons with the Men’s Soccer Team.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Investment Fraud and Recovery
- Copyright and Trademark Infringement
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D., Magna Cum Laude (Top 3%), 2008
- Executive Editor of Notes and Comments, California Western Law Review
- Legal Skills Honor Instructor
- Recipient of Academic Merit Scholarship and Diversity Scholarship
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- B.A., Business Management Economics and Sociology, 2003
- Honors in Sociology and College Honors for overall academic achievement
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Phi Beta Kapa
- Animal Legal Defense Fund Pro Bono Achievement Award, 2013
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- Louis M. Welsh American Inn of Court, Barrister
PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA
- Co-Author, “Arbitrability of Mental Capacity Defenses under the Federal Arbitration Act and California Law,” Practical Law Litigation, Oct. 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California