Jessica (“Jessie”) Mackaness specializes in civil business litigation, securities arbitration and litigation, and employment litigation, representing investors, financial professionals, employees, and commercial clients.
Investment recovery, in particular, is one of Jessie's passions. She has helped many investors recover substantial financial losses caused by investment fraud, broker misconduct, and unsuitable recommendations. These types of losses can, and regularly do, happen to educated, young professionals, but more often, it is the unsophisticated and vulnerable elderly who are targeted. Jessie is well-equipped to fight for investor’s rights in any such claim.
Jessie is also dedicated to helping employees throughout California protect and enforce their rights. She has extensive experience helping individuals with a variety of employment-related disputes, including wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, wage and hour, and hostile work environment claims. Jessie has also advised many companies on employment-related matters to ensure they are staying on the right side of the law.
Beyond investment recovery and employment issues, Jessie regularly helps clients with matters involving complex business disputes, breach of contract, partnership “divorces,” breach of fiduciary duty, and online defamation, a growing area of law in this digital age. She brings years of experience in handling these often complex matters, helping her clients move forward so they can continue operating successful companies.
Since 2017, every year, Jessie has been selected as a San Diego "Rising Star” by Super Lawyers®, an award recognizing no more than 2.5% of lawyers in California. She is a member of Mensa International, and earned her J.D., graduating magna cum laude (top 4%), from the University of San Diego School of Law in 2010, where she was also elected to the Order of the Coif. She earned her B.A., graduating cum laude, in Business Administration with an emphasis in finance from the University of Florida in 2007.
Having graduated from an SEC university (go Gators!), Jessie is a rabid college football fan and will happily explain its superiority over the NFL if given the chance.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Business & Corporate Litigation
- Investment Fraud & Recovery
- Employment Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- Elder Abuse Litigation
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D., Magna Cum Laude (Top 4%), 2010
- Order of the Coif
- Pro Bono Services Recognition Award
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- B.A. (Business Administration), Cum Laude, 2007
HONORS AND AWARDS
- SuperLawyers® “Rising Star,” 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024 (Business Litigation)
- San Diego Daily Transcript “Young Attorney” Award, 2013
- Member, Mensa International
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego Inns of Court
PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA
- Presenter, “Proposed ‘Best Interest’ Standard for Brokers: What Is It and Why You Need to Know,” The Knowledge Group Webcast Series, 2018
- Contributor, “Fighting Slander,” Nicholas Carroll, 2019
- Presenter, “Underwriting Fraud: Practical Guidance to Prevent and Mitigate Risk,” The Knowledge Congress Webcast Series, 2013
- Co-Author, “Human Trafficking & Supply Chain for California Businesses,” Transworld Business, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California